Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Zombie Apocalypse: My Thoughts

When I started my blog, I said that the first three people to follow my blog get to choose a topic for me to blog about. Based on a first-come first-serve basis, I guess that the first topic I blog about will be Tyler's request: my thoughts on the zombie apocalypse, or anything biblical.

I was lost when he said "zombie apocalypse". I had never heard of such a thing (the sheltered child that I am). So I turned to a trusted friend, a help in the times of need, one called "Wikipedia". According to the all-knowing web-site, a zombie apocalypse is described as " In a zombie apocalypse, a widespread rise of zombies hostile to human life engages in a general assault on civilization. In some mythologies, victims of zombies may become zombies themselves if they are bitten by zombies; in others, everyone who dies, whatever the cause, becomes one of the undead. In either scenario, this causes the outbreak to become an exponentially growing crisis: the spreading "zombie plague" swamps normal military and law enforcement organizations, leading to the panicked collapse of civilian society until only isolated pockets of survivors remain, scavenging for food and supplies in a world reduced to a pre-industrial hostile wilderness. The day that the zombie apocalypse begins is sometimes known...as Z-Day."

Quite shocking I say, but let not your heart be troubled. Because according to several sources, the possibility of anything like that happening is actually fairly great. Wait a minute, did I just say "let not your heart be troubled"? Oh, woops, my bad. The world as we know it will come to an end. Doom, despair, dejection, discouragement, and sorrow (I also broke the grammar law of alliteration in that sentence, so that has to count for extra emphasis). 












*Editors note: in the preceding silence, yours truly was nonchalantly using the john and getting some iced tea, apparently undisturbed by the previous writings. 

Anyway, quite shocking I say (*echo echo echo*). But as I sipped that wonderful tea, I started thinking about it, and noticed many allegories between this possible tragedy, and us as Christians. I thought about how we as Christians, living our normal lives have to start fighting the "undead", or our sins. Once one sin starts, it multiplies, infecting other areas of our life. Before you know it, you are faced with more sins than you can take. It wears on you, beating you down. 

And it all started with that first sin that wasn't taken care of. 

I have always thought of this subject. I realized that your spiritual life directly affects your physical life. I have read many testimonies in which people said "my life came to the tragic shape it is in right now, all because of that first sin I never took care of". Murderers. Drunks. Thieves. History's halls are carved with the names of too many of these people whose failed lives were a direct result of that "first sin". Romans 6:21 says "what fruit had ye then in those thing of which ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death." That first sin can ruin your life in more ways than you can imagine.

I found a very interesting poem that goes very well with this. It says:
"Isn't it strange that Princes and Kings
And clowns that caper in sawdust rings,
And just plain folks like you and me,
Are builders for Eternity?
To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass and a book of rules,
And each must make ere life is flown,
A stumbling block, or a stepping stone."

It's your life for Christ. What are you going to make with it?

4 comments:

  1. Wow Wes...way to tie the two together.... you make me laugh :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. It's great to have a dad who's a pastor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. You're sooo good with words! luv this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's soooo awesome!! =D
    Good job. You is good writer. :)

    ReplyDelete